Members are the backbone of the AGN Network. We believe that sustainable development presumes the existence of social
cohesion between and amongst different role players in our society including civil society, faith-based institutions,
traditional leaders and the business sector. In all its programmes, AGN links various sectors and agencies to create the
social capital necessary for the pace and scale of development that can propel Africa into a new era of inclusive growth and equity.
The strength of AGN is in its ability to bring together a varied membership of African grantmakers and philanthropic
institutions who are working to address the many challenges facing Africa. Together, AGN and its members share knowledge
and undertake activities that aim at building on the African traditions of philanthropy to address social injustice and
other development issues that hinder Africa's growth path.
AGN membership is arranged into the following categories
- Community Foundations: Targets a geographical area or population sub group and provides opportunities for small contributions to accumulate their donations for the benefit of the community
- Public Foundations: Targets a geographical area at a national level, sub regional level and provides opportunities for all kinds of contributors to support community work in those regions
- Corporate foundations: Legally established and independent in the name of a privately owned company; operates based on financial resources and governance
- Private foundation: Includes family foundations that have registered funds or endowments in the name of a family, or the donor plays a significant role in the management of the foundation
- Associate member: Non-African Grant making organisations supporting development work in Africa.
- Friends of AGN: Other networks, non-grant making organisations supporting philanthropy across the globe.
Types of Membership
- Full Membership: African Grant maker, African foundation, or an African owned foundation that shares the philosophy of AGN. Preferably these are grantmakers with grant amounts of not less $99,000.00
- Associate Membership: International funders (with their own fund) who operate or plan to develop African funding programms or initiatives.
- Friends of AGN: Organisations and individuals who offer support services to foundations and grant makers in Africa and are concerned with the promotion of philanthropy in the region.
- Annual Reports
- Audited financial reports
- By Laws – Statutes
- Profile on grant making history