Who We Are
African Grantmakers Network (AGN) is a continent-wide network of African grantmaking organizations that facilitates
networking and experience-sharing among established and emerging African philanthropic institutions.
AGN aims at consolidating the voice for African philanthropy to address social injustice and development issues on the continent.
The Network was launched in 2009 at an inaugural convening led by: African Women’s Development Fund (AWDF), Kenya
Community Development Foundation (KCDF) and TrustAfrica (TA). The AGN steering committee was then formed, comprising its
founding members and other members including the Southern Africa Trust (SAT), the Foundation for Civil Society (FCS) and Akiba Uhaki Foundation (AUF).
Transformed, relevant, vibrant and sustainable African philanthropy
To be the platform for the promotion of an African voice and agenda for philanthropy
The Values of the network are informed by African philosophies of interdependence, empathy, care and support. They include:
- Mutual respect
AGN's strategic objectives are to:
- Serve as a platform for peer learning and to enhance good standards and practices
- Ensure an amplification of local voices in development discourse and African perspectives at global platforms
- Reinforce the tradition of African philanthropy
- Advocate for long-term and sustainable mechanisms and resources, including investments and endowments for philanthropic institutions in Africa
- Serve as a reference point for Africans in the Diaspora and a point to affirm the identity of African philanthropic institutions
- Cultivate good relations with other civil society formations in Africa and increase networking for effective advocacy around the
aid agenda and the legal environment, including the tax regime
- Conduct pertinent research, capacity building and advocacy roles
These objectives permeate all of AGN’s projects, programmes and partnerships. It is on the basis of these that AGN seeks to achieve
institutionalization and strengthening of organized regular giving in Africa as a value. AGN seeks to strengthen philanthropy in Africa
by investing in resilient institutions, capable leadership and knowledge economy.